IN SUMMARY Delta is making it easier for customers to book, change or cancel their travel plans by eliminating change fees permanently for tickets purchased for travel within the U.S.
At Delta’s Investor Day in December 2019, the airline shared its intent to overhaul its change fee structure, delivering the flexibility and simplicity customers are looking for. Since then, Delta has put its full focus into taking care of customers throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, including implementing a waiver to eliminate change fees in March 2020. Delta is now doubling down on its mission to make it easier for customers to book, change or cancel their travel plans by making this policy permanent for tickets purchased for travel within the U.S.
“We’ve said before that we need to approach flexibility differently than this industry has in the past, and today’s announcement builds on that promise to ensure we’re offering industry-leading flexibility, space and care to our customers,” said Delta CEO Ed Bastian. “We want our customers to book and travel with peace of mind, knowing that we’ll continue evaluating our policies to maintain the high standard of flexibility they expect.”
The elimination of change fees is effective immediately and includes tickets purchased for travel within the domestic U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands in Delta’s First Class, domestic Delta One, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin, with the exception of Basic Economy tickets.
Additionally, Delta will extend its waiver on change fees for newly purchased flights, including international flights and Basic Economy fares, through the end of the year and will extend its expiration on travel credits through December 2022 for tickets booked before April 17, 2020.
Other steps Delta has taken to deliver flexibility and a superior experience to customers include:
- Blocking middle seats through Jan 6, 2021, ensuring more space for safer travel, on all flights and including for Basic Economy customers
- Giving customers industry-leading flexibility to plan, re-book and travel, Delta has provided more than $2.6 billion in cash refunds in 2020
- Delta was the first airline to Extend Medallion Status through 2021, and offer extensions for Delta Sky Club Memberships and more
- Offering a 24-hour risk free cancellation policy when customers purchase a new ticket
- Empowering our employees to use situational flexibility when customers need it most
As customers consider future travel, Delta’s multi-layered approach to their health and safety ensures peace of mind throughout the travel journey. These include, but are not limited to:
- Sanitizing all aircraft with electrostatic spraying before departure and extensive pre-flight disinfection of high-touch points throughout the aircraft interior.
- Using state-of-the-art air circulation systems with HEPA filters that extract more than 99.99% of particles, including viruses.
- Requiring face masks throughout the airport, in Delta Sky Clubs and on board the aircraft