//52-year-old male arrested by VPD for Valdosta shooting

52-year-old male arrested by VPD for Valdosta shooting

Share with friends

VALDOSTA – A 52-year-old male was arrested for aggravated assault after a shooting investigation by Valdosta Police Officers.


Arrested: Damion McKinney, African American male, 44 years of age, Valdosta resident
Victim: Jerry Rowley, Caucasian male, 52 years of age,

On November 23, 2023, at approximately 9:50 pm., Valdosta Police Officers and Emergency Medical Services responded to the 300 block of East Adair Street, after a citizen called E911 to report that a subject appeared to have fallen and was bleeding from the head. When first responders arrived on the scene, they found a 52-year-old male, later identified as Jerry Rowley, with severe injuries to his face. As they began rendering first aid, they realized that Rowley had a gunshot wound to his face. Rowley was transported to South Georgia Medical Center, where he was stabilized and life flighted to another hospital in Florida.

Detectives and Crime Scene Personnel responded to investigate the incident. Through investigation detectives determined that approximately one hour prior to the citizen finding the victim, he had been shot by an unknown person. Detectives received several tips that they followed up with, along with conducting door to door canvasses in the area. Detectives identified the shooter as Damion McKinney, 44 years of age. The investigation revealed that this was an unprovoked malicious assault.

On November 24, 2023, at approximately 8:00 pm., detectives obtained an arrest warrant for McKinney, as well as a search warrant for his residence. Detectives made contact with McKinney and took him into custody without incident. During a search of his residence detectives located evidence that connected McKinney to the shooting.

McKinney was transported to Lowndes County Jail on the charges of aggravated assault (felony) and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime (felony). The case is still under investigation and further charges are pending.

The victim is still listed in critical condition.

“I am proud of the work our detectives did by continuing to follow up with every piece of information they received.
They worked non-stop to ensure that the offender was identified and can be held accountable for his needless actions.” Said Chief Leslie Manahan