//Arrest made for deadly shooting in Valdosta nightclub

Arrest made for deadly shooting in Valdosta nightclub

Share with friends

VALDOSTA – 27-year-old Jacquez Jelks was arrested for a shooting at Peaches Nightclub that left one dead and another injured.


Arrested: Jacquez Jelks, African American male, 27 years of age, Valdosta resident

On September 3, 2022, at approximately 1:05 am., Valdosta Police Officers and Lowndes County Deputies responded to Peaches Nightclub in the 4100 block of Bemiss Road, after a citizen called E911 to report that someone had been shot. When officers arrived on the scene, they found one victim, a 40-year-old female, with a gunshot wound to her arm. They then located a 28-year-old female, with gunshot wounds to her chest. Officers and Deputies attempted to do first aid on the victims, until Emergency Medical Services arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, the victim who was shot in the chest, succumbed to her injuries on the scene. The second victim was transported to South Georgia Medical Center, where she received treatment for a non-life-threatening injury.

Valdosta Police Department Detectives and Crime Scene Personnel responded to the scene and began their investigation. Through information and evidence collected at the scene, Jacquez Jelks, was identified as being involved in the shooting. Jelks and the deceased victim lived together. Investigation determined they had been in an argument inside the nightclub, when Jelks produced a firearm and shot the victims.

At approximately 2:26 am., officers received information that Jelks was at a residence in the 1300 block of Melody Lane. Multiple attempts were made to get Jelks to come out of the residence, but there was no response. The Valdosta Police Department Tactical Operations Unit was deployed into the residence. Jelks was taken into custody without incident and he was taken to Lowndes County Jail for the following charges:

  • Malice Murder;
  • 2 counts of aggravated assault; and
  • Possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

Further charges are pending.

“My condolences go out to the victim’s family. This was a horrible incident that should not have happened. I am proud of the teamwork of all the officers, deputies, and detectives involved, getting this dangerous person identified and in custody so quickly. Their quick actions could have prevented any more violence from occurring.” Said Chief Leslie Manahan.