LOWNDES – Here are the latest closings or delays due to Hurricane Michael:
- Brookfield Academy- CLOSED 10/10
- Little Angel’s Preschool & Childcare- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11
- Open Bible- CLOSED 10/10. Fall Break is still 10/11-10/12
- Valdosta City Schools- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11 BOE meeting is canceled. More info on Homecoming festivities will be coming soon
- Lowndes county Schools- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11
- Brooks County Schools- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11
- Scintilla Charter Academy, Valdosta- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11. There will be no IGNITE afterschool program tomorrow, 10/9. Additionally, SCA’s “Celebration of Learning” is postponed until Tuesday, October 16th.
- Leon County Schools, Tallahassee- CLOSED 10/9-10/12
- Madison County Schools, Madison-CLOSED starting 10/9 so Madison County Central School can serve as a risk shelter. The risk shelter will open at 2 pm on 10/9
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College – CLOSED Wednesday, 10/10, Thursday, 10/11, Evening classes for Tuesday have also been cancelled. Any further updates will be sent through the MyCampus notification, and posted to social media, and the college website.
- Valdosta State University – CLOSED Wednesday, 10/10, Thursday, 10/11
- Echols County Schools, ClOSED Wednesday, 10/10, Thursday, 10/11
- Students scheduled to take the PSAT/NMSQT or the school day SAT on October 10 will have a rescheduled test date. They will be notified of the new date as soon as one is set.
- WES Fall Festival will be canceled for Saturday, October 13th anticipating Hurricane Michael damage. We will reschedule this event for another day once we return after the storm.
- Lanier County Schools CLOSED Wednesday 10/10, Thursday 10/11Abraham Baldwin Agricultural
- College: Closes at 12:30 Tuesday, remain closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Ben Hill County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Berrien County Schools: Closed Wednesday. Fall break slated to begin Thursday.
- Coffee County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Colquitt County Schools: Closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Dougherty County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Early County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Irwin County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday. Friday night’s football game has been moved to Saturday at noon.
- Lee County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Miller County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Mitchell County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Thomas University: Closed Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Tiftarea Academy: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Tift County Schools: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- UGA Tifton: Closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- VSU: Closed Wednesday, classes cancelled on 10/10 & 10/11, but offices and activities are still scheduled for Thursday.
- Echols County Offices- CLOSED 10/10
- Valdosta Insurance Services- LIMITED HOURS 10/10 9 am – 11 am
- Adam’s Orthodontics-CLOSED Wednesday 10/10
- Advanced Dental Care- CLOSED Wednesday 10/10
- ATA Valdosta – Classes cancelled for Wednesday 10/10
- Dr. Patal at Neurology Neurosurgery and Spine Clinic of South Ga CLOSED Wednesday, 10/10
- Adel Dental Associated, CLOSED Wednesday, 10/10
- The Georgia Power Credit Union will be closed Wednesday, October 10, 2018, due to Hurricane Michael. They plan to reopen Thursday, 10/11 at 10:00 am, weather and road conditions permitting. Updates in regard to Thursday operations will be posted as needed on our Facebook page and on the credit union’s website, www.gpvfcu.com.
- Endless Summer- CLOSED 10/10
- Valdosta Greenhouses- CLOSED 10/10
- Insta-Lube- open only 8 am – 11 am 10/10
- Park Avenue UMC all 10/10 activities canceled.
- Chick Fil A St. Augustine- open limited hours 10/10 6 am – 2 pm
- Moody AFB open only to essential personnel starting 6am on 10/10
- South Georgia Pediatric- CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11
- Crosspointe Church-All services canceled 10/9-11
- Dr. Wendy Vandemark/Vandermark Psychiatry & Counseling, CLOSED 10/10 & 10/11
- YMCA, CLOSED
The Valdosta Municipal Court will be closed on Thursday, October 11, 2018. The cases will be rescheduled for Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. Letters regarding the Court continuance will be mailed. If there are any questions, individuals may contact the Court at (229) 293-3171.
ALL CITY OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED WEDNESDAY
- Valdosta State University’s Pops in the Park, which was originally scheduled for Thursday evening, has been postponed due to the threat of inclement weather from Hurricane Michael. We will send out an updated press release once a new date has been announced.
- Westside Elementary Fall Festival for 10/13 is canceled. A new date will be announced soon.
- Georgia National Fair-CLOSED 10/10 and will reopen at 11 am on 10/11
- The South Georgia Regional Meeting of the Georgia Production Partnership (GPP) that was scheduled on Thursday, Oct. 11, at Valdosta State University has been canceled due to the threat of inclement weather from Hurricane Michael. We will send an updated announcement once this meeting has been rescheduled.
MOODY AIR FORCE BASE:
From the 23d Wing Commander Col. Jennifer Short: “We are now in HURCON 2, which means that damaging winds from Hurricane Michael are possible within 24 hours. The current forecast shows Michael as a Category 2 hurricane and Moody and the surrounding areas will experience tropical-storm-force winds starting in the afternoon on Wednesday, Oct. 10, continuing through mid-day Thursday. Based on the prediction of tropical-storm-force winds, Moody will close its gates 6 a.m. Wednesday to anyone except mission essential personnel, who will be identified by either their commander or supervisor.
All base facilities will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 10, except for the dining facility, which will close after the lunch meal and likely reopen Thursday evening dependent upon conditions. More information will be provided on base operations and reporting for Thursday, Oct. 11.
As you continue to make preparations for the inclement weather, make sure you take note of local school closures and have a plan for child care.
We will post updates as they are available, but encourage you to continue to monitor local radio, TV and social media sites for the latest information.
Shelter will open this afternoon at Lakeland First Baptist Church. Bring your own Supplies. Cot will be provided.
NOTE: We have received several calls regarding the fact only one shelter is opening this evening. Additional shelter locations are available to be opened in the event the Park Avenue shelter reaches capacity. In the past, multiple shelter locations have been opened simultaneously due to the presence of evacuees and the lack of local hotel availability.
Since Lowndes County has remained in the path of the storm, we have not become an evacuee destination. Shelter capacity is being provided on the numbers available historically related to sheltering local residents only.