Eight Georgia public schools have been recognized as 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
Blue Ribbon is a national recognition from the U.S. Department of Education (USED). The Georgia schools named 2021 recipients of the honor are:
- Bleckley County High School, Bleckley County Schools
- Crabapple Lane Elementary School, Fayette County Schools
- Elite Scholars Academy, Clayton County Schools
- High Shoals Elementary School, Oconee County Schools
- Jefferson Middle School, Jefferson City Schools
- Johns Creek Elementary School, Forsyth County Schools
- Oakhurst Elementary School, City Schools of Decatur
- Riverview Elementary School, Dawson County Schools
“Congratulations to Georgia’s 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools!” State School Superintendent Richard Woods said. “The students, teachers, staff, and families of these schools have worked tirelessly, particularly during the last year and a half, and their efforts are paying off in increased achievement for students. I am so proud of each of them as they receive this well-deserved national recognition.”
USED recognizes schools in two performance categories:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. USED invites National Blue Ribbon School nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education.
Private schools are nominated through a separate process by the Council for American Private Education (CAPE). A Georgia private school, Fulton Science Academy in Alpharetta, was also recognized this year.