The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH), South Health District has received confirmation of four new cases of COVID-19. Two individuals are residents of Tift County, one individual is a resident of Turner County, and one individual is a resident of Brooks County. This is the first confirmed case in Brooks County. The investigations surrounding these cases are ongoing.
At this time, South Health District has 44 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the District which includes ten counties throughout South Georgia (Ben Hill, Berrien, Brooks, Cook, Echols. Irwin, Lanier, Lowndes, Tift and Turner).
Epidemiologists conduct investigations regarding all COVID-19 cases reported in South Health District, however due to the widespread COVID-19 case activity that is occurring across the state, and in an effort to keep case counts as up-to-date as possible, sources of exposure and hospitalization status will no longer be reported via press release unless deemed necessary by public health.
For the most up-to-date case count in Georgia, visit www.dph.ga.gov. This site updates daily at noon and 7 p.m.
All Georgians play a critical role in helping to slow the spread of COVID-19 by adhering to the following guidance:
- Practice social distancing by putting at least 6 feet between yourself and other people.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
If you develop signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., shortness of breath, coughing and fever), and have had contact with someone who is suspected to have COVID-19, stay home and call your health care provider or local health department right away. Be sure to call before going to a doctor’s office, emergency room, or urgent care center and tell them about your symptoms.