ST. SIMONS ISLAND — An island of documented historical significance among Georgia’s Golden Isles is for sale. King’s Grant Island, an enchanting 11.7-acre island, is approximately 20 minutes from Jekyll, St. Simons and Cumberland islands and only 12 miles from the port city of Brunswick, Georgia.
An unbroken chain of title from 1763 to the present owner is officially documented. On May 21, 1763, a crown grant was conveyed by George III, King of England, to William Hazzard, a British Patriot who helped secure the area from the Spanish in the south and warring Indian tribes in the west.
After the American War for Independence, the island came into the possession of the famous Revolutionary war general, “Mad Anthony” Wayne, who owned the property for 25 years. Wayne’s military exploits and fiery personality earned him the nickname “Mad Anthony.”
History books note that Georgia rewarded Anthony with the gift of a large rice plantation when he negotiated peace treaties with both the Creek and the Cherokee Indians. Hand-dug canals from the rice plantation days are still evident.
Located at the headwaters of the Little Satilla River, King’s Grant Island is deep-water accessible and only 40 minutes by boat to St. Andrews Sound. Although the island can be purchased for private use, it is also part of Tuscan Landing, a gated waterfront community with numerous amenities.
The island itself can easily be divided into four lots for development with septic and water systems already approved. High water at the island’s major recreational private dock is on average at 10-12 feet; low water is 4-5 feet. The dock float is 40 feet in length. The fixed dock is 12 feet by 12 feet and features a covered roof.