Valdosta fire officials warn residents of unattended cooking fires

| April 23, 2017

VALDOSTA – The Valdosta Fire Department responded to two structure fires only hours apart.

The first fire was at a home on Ponderosa Drive, and the later was at a home on Cypress Street.

Fire officials say both were a result of unattended cooking.

Firefighters rescued an eight-year-old from one of the bedrooms at the Ponderosa home.

They say unattended cooking fires are not only dangerous, but also costly.

“We may have to call in additional manpower. We may have to use additional equipment. It can add up and become costly for us,” says Jame Clinkscales, with VFD.

He says they have responded to several unattended cooking fires within city limits lately.

It’s one bad habit the VFD is trying to get people to break.

The damage for both fires total to around $32,000.

No injuries were reported.

(WCTV Eyewitness News)

VPD to hold open police officer testing April 29
VPD to hold open police officer testing Saturday
Filed in: Local News, News
×

Comments are closed.