Valdosta teen acquitted of murder, sentenced for armed robbery

| October 26, 2016

ricky barron

VALDOSTA – A Valdosta teen arrested at the age of 16 was acquitted earlier this month on a felony murder charge but was convicted of armed robbery; he was sentenced yesterday to 15 years in prison.

A Lowndes County Superior Court jury convicted Ricky Barron III, 18, of armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, according to Chief Assistant District Attorney Brad Shealy.

Barron was originally charged with felony murder for the October 2014 shooting death of Timothy Linder, 40.

Barron was sentenced to 15 years for the armed robbery and five years probation for the firearms charge, Shealy said.

Andreah Mitchell and Angel Clark were also arrested in connection with the shooting. Mitchell and Clark both pleaded guilty to armed robbery and testified against Barron during his trial, Shealy said.

Linder was shot in what Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress described as a “robbery gone bad.” He was at his home in the 1700 block of Marion Street when he was approached by Barron and two other people with the intent to rob him, Childress said.

During the trial, Barron’s defense lawyer introduced a witness who testified that Barron was not the one who pulled the trigger, Sheally said.

Morning News Briefs for 10-26-16
Lowndes Co. officials warn residents burning yard debris
Filed in: Local News, News
×

3 Comments on "Valdosta teen acquitted of murder, sentenced for armed robbery"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Concerned citizen says:

    Fortunately this young man wasn’t caught in Rebecca doing this kind of mess