VALDOSTA – The Valdosta Police Department is currently searching for candidates for the January 2017 Police Academy.
Tired of working a routine job and want variety? Want a challenging and rewarding career that you can be proud of? Want to help your community and make an impact on those who need your help? Always wanted a career in law enforcement? A career in law enforcement is for those who like to solve problems and help others. If interested, we are looking for you!
The Valdosta Police Department is holding an open testing session for anyone interested in becoming a police officer with the agency. If you meet the requirements below, bring your identification and $15.00 cash (for scoring fee) to the City Hall Annex Building, located at 300 N. Lee Street, Valdosta, GA, on July 23, 2016 at 0830am. Testing begins at 9am. We look forward to seeing you there!
Pay and Benefits:
- Starting Salary – $33,157.31
- Starting Salary with Partial College Incentive Pay – $34,157.31
- Starting Salary with Full College Incentive Pay – $35,157.31
- Holidays: 8 ½ Holidays a year
- Vacation: 104 hours of vacation time earned every year
- Sick Leave: 104 hours of sick time earned every year
- Medical, Dental and Life Insurance: The city offers medical, dental and life insurance coverage. Employees pay a percentage of the medical premium.
- A free clinic is available to employees and their family members who are covered under the city insurance plan.
- All uniforms and equipment are provided.
- Officers are assigned cars to take home and they may operate their assigned vehicles while off-duty, provided that such use occurs in the city limits and does not exceed 300 miles a month.
Anyone not peace officer certified will be sent to the regional police academy at no expense and will be paid full salary upon hire prior to the academy.
- At least 21 years of age
- A United States Citizen
- No felony convictions according to O.C.G.A. 35-8-8
- No family violence related convictions according to O.C.G.A. 19-13-1
- At least a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED
- A valid Driver’s License
Applicants who pass the initial test are then required to complete a detailed supplemental application and take a standardized test for entrance to the Police Academy. The next stage in seeking employment is an interview with the Chief of Police or designee. Applicants who have a favorable interview are then scheduled for a polygraph exam, followed by a physical agility test, and a conditional job offer. An offer of employment is proceeded by a psychological test, final interview with the Chief of Police or designee, physical exam, drug screen, and final employment offer by the Human Resource Director and City Manager.
Accepted applicants will be required to enter into a training agreement. Georgia POST Certified Law Enforcement Officers are encouraged to apply.
Career Opportunities within the department include:
- Traffic Unit
- Power Squad
- Tactical Operations Unit (TOU)
- Detective (Person’s Crime Unit, Burglary Unit, Property Crimes Unit, Narcotics)
- Crime Scene Technician (CST)
- School Resource Officer (SRO)
- Hostage Negotiation Unit
- Field Training Officer (FTO)
- Promotional opportunities (ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain and Commander)