KJ case closed; family to meet with federal prosecutors

| June 20, 2016
Source: Family Photo

Source: Family Photo

VALDOSTA – A federal investigation into the death of Kendrick Johnson has ended, and his family is expected to meet with federal prosecutors to learn if charges will be brought in the case, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Johnson’s body was found upside down in a vertically-stored gym mat at Lowndes High School in January 2013. A state autopsy ruled the 17-year-old’s death accidental, but Johnson’s parents have insisted their son died of foul play.

Kenneth and Jackie Johnson are scheduled to meet with federal prosecutors this afternoon at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Macon, according to the AJC.

A family spokesperson told the AJC that Johnson’s parents are confident in their position that the teen’s death “was no accident.”

Local and state investigators determined Johnson died after he became trapped in an athletic mat while reaching for a pair of sneakers.

Former U.S. Attorney Michael Moore launched the federal review of the case in October 2013.

In January 2015, Kenneth and Jackie Johnson filed a $100 million civil suit which alleged local FBI agent Rick Bell, his two sons and 35 state and local officials either directly caused or covered up the cause of their son’s death. The suit was later dropped, and former defendants are currently seeking attorneys’ fees from the Johnsons.

While U.S. Marshals have raided the homes and seized electronic equipment from entities named in the Johnson’s suit, no charges have ever been filed and no arrests have been made in connection with the investigation.

Bell family responds to DOJ announcement in KJ case
Lowndes I-75 Lane Closures Scheduled This Week for Overhead Sign Installation

23 Comments on "KJ case closed; family to meet with federal prosecutors"

1. Curly Bill says:

Coming soon to a courthouse step near you…fundraiser for gas money to get to Macon and then the follow up protest over who knows what.

• Sunny says:

I hope my family gets justice. I don’t care what you people say my family deserves justice and we will get it.

• How says:

How do you get justice from a wrestling mat?

• Nicole Lee says:

How did he even get inside the wrestling mat??!! I guess since it’s not your family that doesn’t matter…

• Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

Because he crawled into it trying to get his sneakers because his folks were cheap to give him money for a locker.

• Naomi says:

You know I’m sitting here reading the comments and can’t for the life of me understand why there are so many people on here saying the most atrocious things about this child who died under suspicious circumstances. We all read what was said about him but we all are not medical examiners we are just regular people with eyes that can see that there is something total wrong with this entire case. All we can do now is pray that someone has a heart and shed some more information on this case. Praying for Ms. Jackie!!

• georgia peach says:

You sound so stupid and when they found out the truth hope u have something to say then

• noaccident says:

The accident excuse cannot be proved without the video.

• Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

It has been proven with forensic AND video evidence but the truth doesn’t have dollar signs.

• Nicole @33 says:

I hope this never happens in your family…. I don’t think this is a situation to make light of… If you think that they need gas money… Then you get in touch with them and donate!!! Such foolishness!!! Smh

• Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

They don’t need gas money, they need money to pay off that defamation case.

• Nicole Lee says:

I hope his never happens in your family… It’s really sad to see how people are so incensitive… Just because they didn’t file any charges.. Doesn’t mean it was an accident!!! If you believe the lie about hi trying to get his shoes out of a rolled up mat. Your not as smart as I would think you are… I see why you call yourself the black sheep… Smh…

• Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

I personally pulle 3 kids out of those mats when I was in school and so I can see it happening. Life sucks and it’s accident but they want a pay day.

• Nicole Lee says:

So you say… Once again… All talk to action!!! It see Atl me you are just worried about the money… Contact his mom if you want to help out…. Stop talking so much about stuff and start doing something!!! Who cares how many people you pulled out of a mat!!! KJ wasn’t one of them…. Like I said… You better be careful what you speak on….. Im sure if this were your child you wouldn’t just let it go… If you say you would your a bigger liar than I thought!!!

2. McFadden says:

The Lord knows the truth , if there was foul play in his death God will repay with his vengeance .

3. I want some money. Lots of it.

4. justice served says:

Now lets see if the DOJ will start an investigation to see if the civil rights of all of those people wrongly accused of murder were violated…..

5. Past Time says:

So now that there are no federal charges being brought up and all this money being raised on fundraisers and gofundme.com pages,will there be an investigation on this? Where was the money being used while the “family” was sitting on street corners? I hope there is an investigation on this, just like in the “Mandy Strong” case.

• Nicole Lee says:

Once again… Worried about the wrong thing…. That Mandy Stong person was faking… This young man died!!!!! How dare you be so incensitive and compare the 2!!!!! Let’s just say I hope this never happens to anyone you love.. Smh!!!

6. georgia peach says:

@justice served how you now these people were falsely accused. Read the facts dummy they tore down a perfectly built gym for what?

7. Melisss says:

My heart hurts for thus family. Not only did they lose their son but they are having to fight for his justice.

8. Their is more to this story and the federal government is involved in it !!!!!!

9. I’m beginning to see,that this is a conspiracy, that goes all the way up, to the White House.