Man drowns saving daughter from river

| May 9, 2016

alapaha-river

LANIER Co. – A father lost his life Saturday while saving his daughter from a river.

Cary Russell Self, 44, died while trying to save the life of his three-year old daughter from the waters of the Alapaha River. They were attempting to cross the river and were caught by the swift current, according to Georgia DNR.

Self never resurfaced. His body was recovered later from the water.

“The day before Mother’s Day, a father made the ultimate sacrifice to save his daughter in Lanier County. My deepest heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to the entire family. I am truly sorry for your loss on this Mother’s Day weekend,” said Lanier County Sheriff Nick Norton.

Georgia DNR, Lowndes County Dive and Recovery Team, Georgia State Patrol (Divers), Lakeland/Lanier Rescue, Lanier County Sheriff’s Office, Lanier EMS and others responded to assist in the incident.

Valdosta man, juvenile arrested in gunfire incident Monday morning
Exit 22 to get new off ramp signal this week; lane closure expected Tuesday
Filed in: News, Regional News

10 Comments on "Man drowns saving daughter from river"

1. Twobuckchuck says:

A brave and dedicated Father the ultimate sacrafice ! R.I.P. Clay !

2. Lashonda Brown says:

I don’t know the Family,this is sad..Prayers for the Family….

3. Gabby kruse says:

I would like to make a change in this story cause I was there, I witnessed it and actually was one of the people who swam to the little girl. She didn’t wander off her daddy was with her. The whole time we were there that man never took an eye off those kids! They were trying to go to the bank on the other side and didn’t know there were drop offs in parts of the river. He unfortunately hit one and went under and held her up as long as he could and the current wore him out and took him! I just wish we would of got to them a little bit before and we would of been able to get to him too. This man is a hero, he sacrificed his life for his baby girl!

4. Linsey says:

Rusty was a great father he loved his girls more than anything Rusty always made everyone laugh my heart goes out to the girls who are left without a father Gina bean we are all here for yall I will keep ur family in our prayer

• Gena self says:

Special thanks to everyone who helped. Me and the girls need all the prayer we can get. Thank you all

• Kathleen Mulkey says:

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Barbara Wilson says:

Gena, I am so sorry for your loss. I have you and the girls in my prayers. I’m Patricia’s sister. Love you,

5. Queet and Joey says:

Rusty was a great man. There are no words to express how much I love you bbruh. Rusty was Rusty. To understand him was to know him.

6. Brooke bracewell says:

Such a sad thing…he died to keep his baby alive! Such a courageous man.