Valdosta amends penalties for topped crepe myrtles

| April 12, 2016
topped

source: www.groundsguys.com

VALDOSTA – Valdosta City Council adopted an amended tree ordinance at its April 7 meeting.

The amended ordinance eliminates a “remove-and-replace” penalty for property owners who have topped crepe myrtles. Instead, a warning will be issued first, followed by a series of fines that gradually increase. The ordinance also eliminates the threat of jail time as a consequence of violations.

Language in the ordinance holds landscapers and landscaping companies accountable for violating the tree ordinance. The city has already started an effort to educate landscapers on what the city regards as proper pruning techniques.

The ordinance passed with a unanimous vote.

Read more from The Valdosta Daily Times.

Disgraced ex-congressman from Chicago arrested at Atlanta airport
Jury Selection Begins in Case Accusing Georgia Dad of Murder in Son's Hot Car Death

14 Comments on "Valdosta amends penalties for topped crepe myrtles"

1. FLIPMODE says:

If its my property and my tree why cant I cut it any way I see fit as long as its not endangering the public and you see why we need our politicians to focus on something significant

2. T says:

Late winter (right now) is the best time to prune a crepe myrtle, because it’s leafless and you can easily see all of the branches. It also blooms on new growth, so pruning now won’t reduce blooming. In fact, it may increase it. Stop trying to —- everyone Lowndes County if you haven’t noticed ppl are starting to pay attention to how corrupt you idiots are

3. Chiffon Browne says:

That’s so silly why wouldn’t you cut them back a certain time of the year.

4. Shannon Lasseter says:

There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. I had a contractor tell me oh yes I have been doing it this way for years!!! I responded, Well that does not mean you are doing it right. Perhaps you should be interested in learning the right way to do it! Southern Living who has long been an authority on many things southern calls this behavior the murder of the Crape Myrtle!! They are right and people should always seeks the correct way of doing anything especially a landscaper who’s goal is beautification.
    I think it’s great politicians are reducing the penalty but trying to continue to teach the correct way to prune these beautiful trees. Signed SHANNON

5. Slim says:

While you are educating the landscape companies, the city might want to educate the company that they pay to butcher their trees. Go down a street after they have cut limbs away from the utility lines. Horrible.

6. Phil says:

When I first read this my thought was…..”You have got to be kidding”. It’s one thing to advise of the correct pruning but it’s totally another when you fine that person. After all it is his tree. Next thing will be what day you are “allowed” to mow your grass. But that’s what happens when you allow folks from the north to move here.

7. Al says:

This kind of stuff makes my head want to explode. I buy a tree; I plant a tree; I fertilize the tree; I water the tree; One day I don’t like how the tree looks and I cut it, but not to the specifications of the city government??? Really?? I’m sure there are many more pressing issues for our city to worry about than how I cut a damn tree back. IT IS MY TREE!!

8. Al says:

This kind of stuff makes my head want to explode. I buy a tree; I plant a tree; I fertilize the tree; I water the tree; One day I don’t like how the tree looks and I cut it, but not to the specifications of the city government??? Really?? I’m sure there are many more pressing issues for our city to worry about than how I cut a damn tree back. IT IS MY TREE after all!! I agree with a previous poster that it is quite fine to advise and educate people of the correct pruning methods, but is is absolutely not OK to issue someone a fine for pruning a tree on their own property! It’s a plant! I will cut mine incorrectly on purpose just to aggravate the people involved in this silliness.

9. bill says:

I wonder if we have a Special “Landscape Cop” because of a Grant, which required another special employee to write the Grant application, which has long term requirements of hiring special employees to manage the Landscape Department. I wonder why we allow our elected to participate in this pandering and begging for our own money. I wonder how many of these Special Grant positions are filled by affirmative action hires. Opps, I wonder to much, jus seyin…. enuf

10. Anonymous says:

What about all the sewage going into the river? Here you are worried about trees?

11. Fred Fountain says:

Let your property look “natural” get FINED! Trim and groom your property, get “Fined” REMEMBER ” VALDOSTA, A CITY WITHOUT LIMITS!

12. J says:

Is the picture with the article showing the correct way to prune?