Lowndes Co. murder conviction goes to Supreme Court on racial grounds

| April 21, 2016

Deron Michael Wallace

ATLANTA – A case dealing with racial ‘selective prosecution’ will be heard next week by the Georgia Supreme Court in Atlanta.

Deron Michael Wallace and Michael Pindling were convicted of the shooting death of Robert Daniel “Big Rob” Pett. Wallace is appealing that conviction in Lowndes County because a white woman involved in the incident was allowed to plead to a lesser charge.

Wallace is arguing that Kathryn Cortez was “selectively prosecuted” and convicted only of armed robbery because she was a white woman from Georgia while he was a black man from New York.

Cortez testified against Wallace and Pindling during the trial.

Pindling was identified as the shooter.

Read more.

I-75 Overnight Lane Closures Scheduled at Exit 66
Lowndes Co. property tax issue heard in Georgia's top court

16 Comments on "Lowndes Co. murder conviction goes to Supreme Court on racial grounds"

1. Steve says:

The questioned asked should be, “who pulled the trigger”?

• Open mind says:

When you are a party to a crime, then you all face the same charges when someone is killed. ..

• Steve says:

I’ve watched many many episodes of 48 hours. That is not always the case. Typically how much one is involved depends on their charges. You typically can’t charge someone for murder/robbery etc, when they are outside in the getaway car.

• Robert says:

Well, there you have it from the expert witness who has watched countless hours of 48 hours. I, therefore offer my expert witness opinion based on countless hours of law and order: svu. Charges can be the same for all parties involved.

Setiously though. If 1 person is killed, it doesnt matter who lulled the trigger, all individuals that were part of the crim will be charged the same. 3 people break into a house and someone killed, all will initially be charged. Another example. You are in a car with 4 others. Get pulled over and drugs are found in the car. All 5 will be charged and prosecuted for drug possession being that no one will claim the drugs as their own.

• James says:

So, if I’m riding with someone and they decide to run over a person and kill them, I would be charged with murder? Think about it. I’m sure she took a plea deal. It is common practice. Plead to a lesser charge to get her to testify against him

• Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

I am no lawyer but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night….

• jae says:

Absolutely!!!

• jae says:

Michael pindling pulled the trigger but all three planned my sons murder

2. Samuel Perkins says:

What does it matter anyway? More THUGS are off the streets! What more could anyone ask for!

• jae says:

Oh it matters it was my son they killed, all three are guilty, they weren’t thinking about race when they killed my son

3. Al says:

I thought it was common practice everywhere that one defendant may be offered a different “deal” in return for their testimony against the others. Did I imagine this?

4. Brandy Michelle says:

Just imagine if this defendant was a cop who cussed at someone? Imagine the charges then. Just glad it was only a murder charge.

5. Eric "Da Blacksheep" TrixNDix says:

He’s just bored in Prison and this gives him something to do and the off chance of transport to other facilities.

6. Casey J Propes says:

I hope he dies in prison after a miserable and painful existence..I hope everyone of his days are worse then the last….he deserves nothing.

7. jae says:

I’m the mother of the deceased, all three are guilty of murder in my opinion, she lured my son to his death she turned on them to save her own butt!!! She is Hispanic not white!! Let a new trial happen, maybe she will get what she deserves as well as him!! Michael pindling pulled the trigger but all three devised the plan to Rob and kill my son , they didn’t know my son they had met on the 2nd of July 11 days later my child was dead!!