Protest area designated for VSU Trump visit, parking may be issue

| February 29, 2016

trump

VALDOSTA – Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is scheduled to speak this afternoon at Valdosta State University, and the school has issued a safety reminder about increased traffic and reserved an area near the event for protests.

The Trump rally is expected to bring thousands to VSU’s P.E. Complex. The event starts at 6 p.m., and the facility will be open to ticket holders 4 p.m.

Traffic and parking could be an issue during the event.

“Safety is our No. 1 concern on campus. We would like to take this opportunity to remind you to be mindful of the increased automotive and pedestrian traffic in the area as you travel around the university and adjacent neighborhoods,” stated an email released by VSU. “Please drive carefully and look both ways before crossing the street. Parking will be at a premium on Monday afternoon. Students and others not attending the rally may want to leave extra time to get to class or appointments on campus.”

Protests in areas cordoned off by Secret Service are prohibited by federal law (House Resolution 347).

Reames Practice Field next to the tennis courts on Baytree Road has been reserved for faculty, staff, students, retirees, alumni and friends who wish to protest the event.

“The field will be equipped with portable restrooms and food vendors and will be available all day. Those who wish to protest may do so as long as the event remains civil and does not interfere with traffic or other campus operations,” stated the VSU email.

The Trump rally is not a university sponsored event. Donald J. Trump for President Inc. rented the P.E. Complex for the event, but questions remain whether or not VSU Event Services ignored its own policies when approving the rental.

“VSU is committed to the practice of citizenship and to graduating a quality, diverse student population prepared for roles as leaders in a global society. This event affords students, regardless of political affiliation, an opportunity to experience the national dialogue that surrounds the election of an American president every four years,” stated the VSU email.

Watch the Donald Trump Valdosta Rally
Morning News Briefs for 2-29-16

20 Comments on "Protest area designated for VSU Trump visit, parking may be issue"

1. lchb says:

What good is this protest going to do? If you don’t like him, don’t vote for him. Seems to me the people protesting are the ones that don’t like the idea of working for a living or earning their way. Trump would be America’s “tough love” and that’s what we need in this age of whiners and criers that we’ve raised.

• dixie&trixie says:

Any man his age who claims he doesn’t know who the klan is should be shot for lying he’s a P.O.S. and so are the supporters of this garbage

2. dixie&trixie says:

Yes they ignored their own policy to allow this racist fool come speak at their university this is a slap in the face to everyone who pays to go to this school

3. Sally says:

He is a presidential candidate whether you like it or not. The school did the right thing by welcoming him when they inquired. Enough with the whining and trying to find some wrong that’s been done. Grow up, children. You won’t agree with everything you encounter. You won’t like everyone you meet and eghads, everyone will not agree with or like you. I’m so tired of all the whining.
    If you don’t like him, don’t vote for him. End of story.

• dixie&trixie says:

Sorry Sally the story doesn’t end just because you say so you are nothing

• Terence says:

Protesting peacefully is a Constitutional right protected by the 1st Amendment(I guess you forgot that one). Just because he is a candidate for president, doesn’t mean he isn’t a homophobic, sexist, racist low life – which he is.

4. Matt says:

Sad that people are planning to protest. If you don’t like the man, stay home! The founding fathers developed a great form of protest, it’s called voting. If you don’t like a candidate don’t vote for them. Pretty simple and if you don’t like the sitting President, their policies or agendas then every four years, you have the opportunity to make changes. This fall will be a demonstration of this practice.

5. Voice of Reason says:

Dixie&Trixie – who are you kidding, we all know you couldn’t get into college.

6. Eric says:

Dixie…..you are a P.O.S. This country was based on everyone having their own opinion and the right to vote and like who they want to. Who gives you the right to judge that. You are a P.O.S. For that reason. You don’t get to judge me. GO TRUMP!!!!!

7. Eric says:

Looks like you need to attempt college Dixie so you can get just a little more educated and quit being so ignorant.

8. dixie&trixie says:

Eric I do get the right to judge you because I am better than you much better you P.O.W.T S.

9. KaZ66 says:

When almost a quarter of Trump supporters also believe that freeing the slaves was a bad idea, you know something is wrong. He appeals to the most racist, hateful, misogynisitc people. And you can find them all here.

10. Beth McDaniel says:

I would just bet those that do not like Trump, do not want their gravy train stopped!!! Everything in life is not free people!! He will get jobs for people that want to better themselves and change our economy!! Lazy people just do not want to get a job and just ride the backs of those people that work all hours to have something. The working people have too many of you stacked on their backs and they have broken down!! Trump will make you work and pay your own way if you are able!! That is the only reason you hate him!! My opinion!!

11. Eric says:

I agree 100% Beth. I bet Dixie is one of the ones that has nothing else better to do and living off of our taxes as well while we bust our butts trying to support my family. I’m tired of supporting my family AND Dixie’s family. Get life Dixie.

• dixie&trixie says:

Eric I’ll be willing to set up a meeting with you if you would like I will give you my email address and we can compare W2’s and we can see by the way bring Beth with you I may need my car washed

• Beth says:

Trixie, I did not say one word to you to attack me!! I did not mention your name! But I guess if the shoe fits, wear it!! Trust me, you do not want me to wash your car!! I am too busy doing something worthwhile! I have been nursing for 26 yrs!! I should have never been brought up in your post!! Judge not!!

12. Eric says:

Lol….let it go. You will be alright. Keep living off the govt. Beth….ignore the ignorant. I won’t lose any sleep over Dixie. I promise.

• dixie&trixie says:

yes I will continues to live off of the government 25 years in the USAF and I have started my own business since retiring and yes I will be alright sorry Beth blame Eric he brought into this I don’t blame you for being upset with him