Georgia State Patrol launches Distracted Driving Initiative

| November 12, 2015

georgia_state_patrol_ynkefan1_flickr_h_0

VALDOSTA — The Valdosta Post of the Georgia State Patrol is making a coordinated effort to curb Distracted Driving. We have seen an increase of traffic crashes over the last several months, resulting in multiple injuries and several deaths. Many of these traffic crashes could have been avoided if the drivers had been fully committed to the task of driving and not allowed their attention to have been diverted.

In an attempt to reduce crashes and the injuries that routinely accompany them, GSP Valdosta will begin a series of patrols targeting DISTRACTED DRIVERS. Distracted driving is defined as any activity that could divert a person’s attention away from the primary task of driving. These types of distractions include:

· Texting
· Using a cell phone or smartphone
· Eating and drinking
· Talking to passengers
· Grooming
· Reading, including maps
· Using a navigation system
· Watching a video
· Adjusting a radio, CD player, or MP3 player

But, because text messaging requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention from the driver, it is by far the most alarming distraction.

Georgia Law states in OCGA 40-6-241 that: A driver shall exercise due care in operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state and shall not engage in ANY actions which shall distract such driver from the safe operation of the vehicle, provided that the proper use of a radio, citizens band radio, or mobile telephone shall not be a violation of this Code Section.

As a reminder Georgia specifically prohibits drivers under the age of 18 from using a phone for texting or calling while driving. It also prohibits anyone 18 and above from texting while driving.

Isakson: "Mrs. Clinton doesn't know what she is talking about..."
City Hosts Fall Electronics Recycling Event

11 Comments on "Georgia State Patrol launches Distracted Driving Initiative"

1. thefoot43 says:

The state patrol guy sits in his Dodge, with incessant audio distractions from his network, sitting 10 inches from his computer screen that he is required to monitor. That state employed guy is more distracted than anyone who is texting. Way to go, GSP. Find taxpayers who are distracted while driving and write them a ticket.

• CitizenQ says:

That Georgia State Patrol “guy” is known as a Trooper and he or she has had hundreds of hours of training in both defensive driving and high speed driving. Being able to monitor radios, computers, and any other means of communication is essential to the Trooper’s RESPONSIBILITY of protecting the citizens of Georgia! Granted it does present a risk but through training that risk is mitigated! The next time you see a Georgia State Patrol guy, ask that person what it is like to notify a next of kin that a loved one was killed in a car crash. I think you find that the answer given comes from that GSP guys heart and is filled with passion! You did get one thing correct, “Way to go GSP”

• DT says:

If this goes into effect, all distractions in and around GSP patrol cars should be removed, period. This includes radios, computers, and navigational devices. 100s of hours of training plays no part when an officer is distracted by these devices.

• JC says:

If I read the article correctly, GSP is simply attempting to reduce “Distracted Drivers”. There are many things we do on a daily basis that are not illegal, but could lead to a driver being distracted. What I believe they are saying is that they are looking for the illegal acts, such as texting, but will also be observant for other distracted drivers. Eating, changing the radio, or talking to your passengers is not illegal; but when you run off the roadway, rear end the car in front of you, or blow through a stop sign because you were not paying attention it becomes an issue.

2. Reggaeman says:

I understand putting on makeup and texting but using your phone and eating and drinking in your car and what the point of an GPS if you can’t look at it. This is ridiculous and a easy way to make money and this is not a state law so how they going to ticket a person for a non state offense. This new corporal needs to be fired

• JC says:

3. nash17 says:

I see police officers texting and driving pretty regularly, I think they should follow the same guidelines that we are forced to.

4. John Smeith says:

I didn’t see picking boogers on the list. I guess that’s ok.

I’m glad to be free to pick.

5. Tom Anderson says:

I’ll talk to passengers and adjust my radio as I have been for 40 years. The fuck is wrong with y’all. If it isn’t Remerton ruining college kids lives, it’s the ass rape you’ll receive from some other bullshit initiative to increase funding for these corrupt institutions. Fuck out of here with that nonsense.

Always question authority. No man should govern another’s free will.

• Elmore Wrathmore JR says:

My posts get taken this down but this gluteal chapeau can curse up a storm. Totally Legit.

6. Fanny says:

I a so happy to hear that the Police is doing something about this nonsense behavior of many drivers . I drive all the time I have been close to get killed by people who have been texting while driving. In one occasion a lady putting her make up while driving almost hit me head on . STOP CRITICIZING OUR POLICE . THEY PLAY A VITAL PART IN EACHONE OF OUR LIVES AND OUR FAMILIES All my respect for OUR policeman