Arrest Made in Atlanta Home Invasion Case

| August 21, 2015


ATLANTA — Days after a northwest Atlanta father was shot in both legs as he tried to protect his wife and children during a violent home invasion, police have made an arrest.

“I can confirm one arrest and we are looking to identify 3 additional suspects,” Atlanta police spokeswoman Kim Jones told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

According to WSB, the person taken into custody is the suspected gunman depicted in a GBI sketch authorities released earlier this week. That sketch shows a black man with a piercing between his eyes.

Police, who have not released the name or any other details about the suspect arrested, planned a press briefing later to release more information, Jones said.

Michael Lash and his family had just returned to their Sumter Street home from vacation Sunday night when two male teenagers approached him on his front porch, witnesses told police. The teens asked if they could borrow a jack for their car, then tried to force their way inside as two other teens stood across the street, police said.

When Lash tried to close the door, he was shot by one of the teens, who had a short afro and tattoos and piercings on his face, Lash told police.

Inside, Lash’s wife, Whitney, heard the shots, grabbed the couple’s 6-month-old daughter and ran toward the back door.

Whitney Lash called 911, and in a hushed voice, told the operator her husband had been shot.

The suspects fired two shots at the mother, but missed her as she ran out the back door and to a nearby home for help.

The couple’s 2-year-old son was asleep upstairs in the home and also was not injured.

Michael Lash was able to speak to the first officers who arrived, though he was in immediate need of emergency treatment for the gunshot wounds to both legs, according to police. One officer used his fingers to temporarily plug the man’s wounds.

“I ordered other officers on scene to get a belt so that we could tourniquet his right leg,” the officer wrote in the police report. “I kept talking to Mr. Lash to keep him conscious until Fire and EMS units arrived on scene.”

Michael Lash underwent emergency surgery, but is expected to fully recover from his injuries.

He took his first steps with a walker, according to Whitney Lash’s father, who has posted updates on a GoFundMe page set up to help the family with medical and other costs. Michael Lash was set to begin a new job when he was shot, according to a family friend.

As of Friday morning, more than $88,000 in donations had poured into the page.

“Friends,” Whitney Lash’s father wrote in a post after the arrest was announced, “we have great news!”

Atlanta Journal Constitution

Arrest made in both Phone Shack Burglaries
Richt criticized by group over Religious Activity
Filed in: News, Regional News

Comments are closed.