Police Chase Ends Tragically With Two Dead

| November 13, 2013

police car lights NASHVILLE, GA – Two people died in a tragic car accident in Nashville yesterday afternoon. Matthew Horton and Kelly Prescott were siblings from Atkinson County. They were out running errands preparing for their sister’s, Heidi Mancil’s, birthday party when they were struck by Tim Rutland of Tifton. Mancil, who was with her siblings, is currently hospitalized in Tallahassee. Horton and Prescott died on the scene.

Rutland, who runs a tree service in Tifton, is accused of causing the crash when he ran a stop sign during a high speed chase from police. He had been on the run for several days after a hit and run last week in Tift County. Rutland is also accused of attempting to run over deputies in last weeks incident. Charges in the crash have not yet been named, but it is believed Rutland will be facing  felony vehicular homicide. Rutland is currently hospitalized.

Authorities say both Prescott and Horton have young children, and Prescott’s husband is a Marine currently in Iraq.

Source: WALB

Charlie Marsh Honored as the City's 2013 November Employee of the Month
Feds Arrest Seven Involved in Narcotics Investigation

7 Comments on "Police Chase Ends Tragically With Two Dead"

1. valdosta resident says:

This is so sad. This is what happens when you try to run away from your sin and wrong-doing: many innocent lives are negatively affected. I bet the thoughts never crossed his mind that his actions and lack of ownership of his behavior could lead to this. Praying for this family and for the offender.

2. Destiny says:

I know the Prescott’s. My heart goes out to Mike and the kids. You will miss you terribly Kelly.

3. Bruce says:

Rutland Killed my friend.. The people he killed were some of the most generous, caring and loving people i have ever met. Being in the military is hard enough not knowing if your going to come back home to your family or having a friend leave and not knowing if you will see them again, but to have someone else be so ignorant and selfish to not care about their own life yet be able to take innocent others is just heart breaking. There is so many thoughts going through my mind about Rutland. But the thought i cant stop thinking about the most, is Those three young children and Marine husband of hers who are asking why?

4. Ally says:

I know Kelly Prescott she was a wonderful person. Her daughter, Kaylyn is 12 yrs old, son Alex is 9, and daughter Joy 10

5. Kellie says:

Kelly was one of my dear close friends. We met in Norfolk VA while both of our men were stationed there. She was a amazing women always doing for her kids husband and family. I remember all the countless trips to the bay and jogging with our kids together and Terry (Mike) her husband. We never had a dole moment and it was always filed with joy and happiness. I miss her so much it kills me. We were actually planning on meeting up since it’s been awhile since we last saw each other. I know I have another Angel looking down at me. But I ask myself why did God pick her. She was so young and had 3 young kids. Kaylyn, Joy, and Alex. Mike and kids I love you guys and I’m so sorry for your loss.

6. Kim Taylor says:

My heart and prayers go out to the Horton and Prescott famlies. This is truely a tragic loss. May God give these famlies peace and comfort. I pray Ms Mancil has a a full and speedy recovery from her injuries. I pray too that the criminal recovers so he can be punished for all his crimes againsr those he had cause harm to and those he attempted to cause harm to.

7. Teri says:

I knew Matthew through a friend, and became friends with his fiance Kim…each time you seen their kids, you seen Matthew all in them…. those children will never see the greatness in their dad…and Kelly’s children will now just keep memories of how great the mom was…such a tragic ending with such beautiful people…
    Held prayers for you and speedy recovery…..